Friday, October 23, 2009

Estrada eligible to run again, says the 1987 Constitution

SEC. 4, ART. VII OF THE CONSTITUTION DEALS WITH INELIGIBILITY TO RUN: So the public may know, let me quote here the part of the 1987 Constitution which deals with the ineligibility of a president for any reelection: “…The President shall not be eligible for any reelection…”

This is actually the second sentence of Section 4, Article VII of the Charter, and anyone whose mind is not biased against President Joseph Estrada will see that there is nothing in it that would prevent him from running, and from being re-elected, and from serving as president once again.

That provision, in its simplicity, refers to “the President”. Now, let me ask Estrada’s critics: who is “the President” referred to therein as ineligible to run again?

To answer that question, we must have to go back to the first sentence of Section 4, Article VII, which says that “The President…shall be elected by direct vote of the people for a term of six years which shall begin at noon on the thirtieth day of June next following the day of the election and shall end at noon of the same date six years thereafter…”

-ooo-

ONLY THE PRESIDENT ELECTED IN 2004 IS INELIGIBLE TO RUN: Surely, taking into account the first and second sentences of Section 4, “the President” who is declared ineligible for any re-election by the Constitution is the president elected by direct vote of the people who has been given a six year term starting at noon on the thirtieth day of June next following the day of the election, and ending at noon of the same date six years thereafter.

The most important item to remember in that first sentence of Section 4, Article VII, would be the description of the term of “the President”, which is the term starting at noon of the 30th day of June next following the day of the election.

When was the last election in the country where a president was elected? It was in 2004, and so, it is clear the prohibition applies to the president who was elected in 2004 and whose term started on June 30, 2004.

Who was this president against whom the disqualification or ineligibility applies? Surely, it was not President Estrada, for he was not elected in 2004, and his term did not start on June 30, 2004.

-ooo-

TRUST IN THE LORD AND DO GOOD: Marianito Hernandez (nitoy_h@yahoo.com), a fellow member at the Internet Yahoo egroup “ang bagong pinoy”, recently posted what would appear to be a hodge-podge of Biblical verses. But hodge-podge or not, the verses seem related with one another. Judge for yourself, here is a part of Marianito’s posting:

“Do not be provoked by evildoers; do not envy those who do wrong.
Like grass they wither quickly; like green plants they wilt away. Trust in the LORD and do good that you may dwell in the land and live secure. find your delight in the LORD who will give you your heart's desire.

“Commit your way to the LORD; trust that God will act, and make your integrity shine like the dawn, your vindication like noonday. Be still before the LORD; wait for God. Do not be provoked by the prosperous, nor by malicious schemers.

“Give up your anger, abandon your wrath; do not be provoked; it brings only harm. Those who do evil will be cut off, but those who wait for the LORD will posses the land. Seek the LORD while he may be found, call him while he is near.

“Let the scoundrel forsake his way, and the wicked man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LORD for mercy; to our God, who is generous in forgiving….”

-ooo-

I AM A JEALOUS GOD: “I AM A JEALOUS GOD! Do not be DECEIVED! Thus says the LORD, your redeemer, who formed you from the womb: I am the LORD, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens; when I spread out the earth, who was with me? I am the LORD and there is no other, there is no God besides me.

“I AM A JEALOUS GOD! Do not be DECEIVED! I am the LORD, there is no other; I formed the light, and create the darkness, I make well-being and create woe; I, the LORD, do all these things. Let justice descend, O heavens, like dew from above, like gentle rain let the skies drop it down. Let the earth open and salvation bud forth; let justice also spring up! I, the LORD, have created this.

“I AM A JEALOUS GOD! Do not be DECEIVED! It was I who made the earth and created mankind upon it; It was my hands that stretched out the heavens;
I gave the order to all their host. It was I who stirred up one for the triumph of justice;
all his ways I make level. He shall rebuild my city and let my exiles go free without price or ransom, says the LORD of host.

-ooo-

TURN TO ME AND BE SAFE: “I AM A JEALOUS GOD! Do not be DECEIVED! For thus says the LORD, The creator of the heavens, who is God, the designer and maker of the earth who established it, not creating it to be a waste, but designing it to be lived in: I am the LORD, and there is no other. Turn to me and be safe, all you ends of the earth,
for I am God; there is no other!

“I AM A JEALOUS GOD! Do not be DECEIVED! I am God, there is no other; I am God, there is none like me. At the beginning I foretell the outcome;
in advance, things not yet done. I say that my plan shall stand, I accomplish my every purpose.

“I AM A JEALOUS GOD! Do not be DECEIVED! Thus says the LORD:
Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, nor the strong man glory in his strength,
nor the rich man glory in his riches; But rather, let him who glories, glory in this,
that in his prudence he knows me, knows that I, the LORD, bring about kindness,
justice and uprightness on the earth; For with such am I pleased, says the LORD.

“I AM A JEALOUS GOD! Do not be DECEIVED!”

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment